Re: [tlug] ssh: No value for $TERM and no -T specified

On Wed, 22 May 2002, Josh Glover wrote:

> Sure, but TERM never gets set in my .bashrc, .bash_profile, or
> /etc/bashrc. Where else could it be getting set?

(/etc/profile if you've got it... i think)

I've been under the impression that $TERM you have on your local machine
gets carried over... for example, if I have $TERM set to xterm on my local
machine, then it's most likely still xterm when I ssh to a remote host,
unless one of my rc files on the remote host overwrites it.

What is it locally set to ? Have you tried changing it to something else,
e.g., if it's originally xterm, then try vt100 and see if it changes
anything ?

> So do you have any idea why ssh is bitching? Or is it ssh that is
> raising this error message? Something else that I should have reported:
> I only see this when ssh-ing into Redhat 7.3 boxen. Strange.

I don't quite know the answers, but I'm curious (as I am always.)

What versions of ssh server and client ?  There are slight differences in
how various versions of openssh behave, so reading changelogs can be
helpful sometimes.  (not familiar with redhat I'm assuming it's openssh
and not the one of several other flavours of ssh, which tend to have
different config options.)

Have you looked in the "sshd_config" file of the RH boxes in question and
compared it with that of the other boxes that don't give error ?  you
could also try running the server (on the target host) with "-d"  to get
verbose debug messages.

Your error message does look like it came from ssh, but it could also be
your "login" prog that's insisting on knowing $TERM.

If doing all this still doesn't give any more clues, then I'm really lost,
sorry :)