Re: [tlug] Stopping mouse services error at shutdown

Nguyen Hung Vu wrote:
> The reason is that you configed your linux to load some deamons in
> /etc/rc.?/ even they nolonger exists. A quick tip:
>
> 1) run /sbin/chkconfig --list for list of deamons to be started when boot
> 2) you will fird some thing like "usb" or "mouse" /etc ...
> 3) check your run level in /etc/inittab ( is it 3?)
> 4) Delete deamons you dont want to load by `/sbin/chkconfig --del --level
> <deamon_name>

Good suggestion, but there is one semantic error I would like to clear up.

'chkconfig --del' is for removing a service from chkconfig's "database"
of services. The --level switch is ignored or raises an error if you
specify --del. What you really need to do is:

chkconfig --level 0123456 <service name> stop

If you rip a service out from chkconfig control with --del, that will
not stop it from loading, just make chkconfig ignore it.

man chkconfig for more, but that is the gist of it.

And to address a couple of the questions asked by the OP:

- It will hurt nothing to leave USB out of the kernel. Unfortunately,
USB in Redhat is not controlled with a SysV init script. Therefore,
chkconfig will not help you. You might have to poke around in
/etc/rc.sysinit to stop the USB error message.

Good luck!
-Josh