Re: [tlug] RedHat up2date funnies

    Curtis> "Unstable". I've heard from folks who use it for their
    Curtis> "desktops" because they do have total control and access
    Curtis> to it, so little skips and bumps don't matter much.

I run unstable on my server, but it's a 5 minute walk and I have the
keys to the room.

I do apt-get source for server daemons there; I don't use binaries for
them.

All downtime on that box has been due to kernel problems
(overallocation of VM), hostile action (including zombies installing
Windows boxen on the same LAN segment), and pilot error (eg, ipchains
-P input DENY; ipchains -F in response to hostile action ;-).  I have
had no downtime due to app breakage.

I have had a number of problems with aptitude and dpkg, but hey, Perl
sux and Debian Perl makes ordinary Perl look good.  Building from
source doesn't help :-/

You're right about upgrading from potato to woody though, that sounds
painful.  It wasn't easy for me, even sitting at the console.