Re: [tlug] Re: help w/japanese

[Mike Fabian ([tlug] Re: help w/japanese) writes:]

>> Not really, it is old and has many quirks. I don't use it much
>> anymore, mlterm is my favorite terminal emulator now.

I have tried mlterm and while it has some advantages over kterm, e.g. I
can read mail and news in UTF8 `au natural', it has a few problems cf my
usual kterm environment:

- when replying to news or mail with Japanese text in them, I use a vi
version set to run in ISO-2022-JP coding. mlterm seems to get lost the
moment I enter Japanese text - vi no longer honours single-character
commands. Since ":" is fairly vital in vi, this is rather limiting. (The
same vi clone in EUC-JP mode is fine with mlterm.)

- I keep a kterm running with xjdic sitting in it and I drop Japanese
words into it whenever I need to. By having the kterm set to the default
JIS mode, xjdic detects the closing escape character and autmatically
actions the lookup once I have clicked the middle button. In its
ISO-2022-JP setting mlterm doesn't do this. In fact if you have it set to
ISO-2022-JP, the pasted text doesn't even appear until you press enter,
then there is a bogus kanji attached to the string.

I realise both of the above could be a case of clunky old apps doing odd
things, but at present they work in kterm and don't in mlterm. My
"ain't-broke-don't-fix" approach means I stick with kterm.

Cheers

Jim

--
Jim Breen  [j.breen@example.com  http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/]
Computer Science & Software Engineering,                Tel: +61 3 9905 3298