Re: [tlug] NFS-mounting /home

On Sat, May 18, 2002 at 12:09:46AM +0900, Bruno Raoult wrote:
> Matt,
>
> Just 2 questions: What is a "computer lab" for you? It sounds for me
> (this name -
> computer lab)  like an university or research domain. This is nice, but not
> where most people are working, AFAIK.

You would be surprised how many unix workstation environments are in
Universities.  I have actually seen far fewer unix workstation environments
outside of higher education. Either way I was pointing out an example
environment that exists in the real world where a strait mount makes more
sense.  It is a situational decision.  I know you are in love with the
automount solution but it doesn't make sense in all real world situations.

> Second question: I don't understand how automount is less secure than mount,
> if the same mount points -&servers- are used: The server decides to share a
> directory, and the client decides to mount it, in both cases. The access
> rights
> are the same, and the protocol is the same. If a client uses automount, the
> server will not be able to notice the difference with a "real" mount. We
> are

 There have been various security holes due to buffer
overflows in the AMD daemon code.  Is AMD safe now? It could be but
the question is why would you run software you don't need?

--Matt

ps. if you want to see more details go search security focus.