RE: [tlug] jp encoding

> >> I know that can be done. I was just wondering if
> >> there's a simpler way. Say, instead of setting
> >> encoding of every app I use, maybe I could
> >> just change the IME sorta stuff of Linux.
> >> Like Wnn or Canna.
>
> Basically no. You can set locale variables but many apps don't honour
> them to a useful extent. That's why I keep asking about the app.

Well, thank you. I think that's the answer that
I wanted to get.

It doesn't really matter what app I use, cuz I
wanted IME solution rather than individual app
solution. That, I know how to handle.

> >> HTML and JSP files in general.
>
> HTML can be in whatever coding you like, and AFAIK JSP is the same.
> Provided you state the coding correctly in the pages, the browsers
> should use it. The only case I know where Shit-JIS is mandatory is
> for the (stupid, stupid) microbrowsers in Japanese cellphones.

Yes, I'm aware of that. One just has to specify
the encoding in the meta tag. And it seems that
new browsers these days can detect the encoding
without the tag anyway.

However, we all know that the most used browser is
IE on Windows platform. For that reason, in Japan,
it is pretty much like an industry-standard (AFAIK)
to use sjis in HTML and JSP, and EUC in Servlet, if
you were developing on Unix platform.

Thank you for the answer. I think the way I asked
was not good and clear. I apologize that.

-mune