RE: [tlug] jp encoding

[legend (RE: [tlug] jp encoding) writes:]

>> > Input to what? What app? What IME?

>> Any app in general.

Hmmm. If there is such a thing as a coding that applies to "Any app in
general", it is ISO-8859-1. I'm not aware of any Japanese coding that
applies like that.

>> > It is? What app are you talking about?

>> It is, isn't it? Unless you change it yourself.

Well, as I said above, the closest you'll get at present to a default
coding is ISO-8859-1. You can set other codings in various ways and
places and some apps pay attention to your requests and others don't.

>> > Where did the EUC file come from?

>> The files that I made.

Using? ..... (this is like getting blood from a stone)

>> > I have a number of editors that can operate in Shift_JIS mode. I simply
>> > have to set them to that coding and input away. If it is one that runs
>> > in a kterm, I have to set the kterm's encoding to Shift_JIS.
>> I know that can be done. I was just wondering if
>> there's a simpler way. Say, instead of setting
>> encoding of every app I use, maybe I could
>> just change the IME sorta stuff of Linux.
>> Like Wnn or Canna.

Basically no. You can set locale variables but many apps don't honour
them to a useful extent. That's why I keep asking about the app.

>> > Why do you want a file in Shit-JIS anyway?
>> HTML and JSP files in general.

HTML can be in whatever coding you like, and AFAIK JSP is the same.
Provided you state the coding correctly in the pages, the browsers
should use it. The only case I know where Shit-JIS is mandatory is
for the (stupid, stupid) microbrowsers in Japanese cellphones.

Jim

--
Jim Breen  [j.breen@example.com  http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/]
Computer Science & Software Engineering,                Tel: +61 3 9905 3298