Re: [tlug] Re: Linux Windows Media Player Protocal not supported?!!!

On Wed, 15 May 2002, Tobias Diedrich wrote:

> Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 13:39:26 +0200
> From: Tobias Diedrich <td@example.com>
> To: tlug@example.com
> Subject: [tlug] Re: Linux Windows Media Player Protocal not supported?!!!
>
> Nguyen Hung Takeshi wrote:
>
> > xine is good too as it can play DVD (!) VCD and asf file.
>
> >From the mplayer man-page:
>
> |DESCRIPTION
> |       mplayer is a movie player for LINUX (runs  on  many  other
> |       Unices, and non-x86 CPUs, see the documentation). It plays
> |       most MPEG, VOB, AVI, OGG, VIVO, ASF/WMV, QT/MOV, FLI,  RM,
> |       NuppelVideo,  yuv4mpeg, FILM, RoQ files, supported by many
> |       native,  XAnim,  and  Win32  DLL  codecs.  You  can  watch
> |       VideoCD,  SVCD,  DVD, 3ivx, DivX 3/4/5 and even WMV movies
> |       too (and you don't need the avifile library at all!).
> |
> |       Another big feature of mplayer is the wide range  of  sup­
> |       ported  output  drivers.   It  works  with  X11,  Xv, DGA,
> |       OpenGL, SVGAlib, fbdev, AAlib, DirectFB, but you  can  use
> |       GGI,  SDL (and this way all their drivers), VESA (on every
> |       VESA compatible card, even without X!) and  some  lowlevel
> |       card-specific drivers (for Matrox, 3Dfx and Radeon) too!
> |       Most of them supports software or hardware scaling, so you
> |       can enjoy movies in fullscreen.  MPlayer supports display­
> |       ing through some hardware MPEG decoder boards, such as the
> |       Siemens DVB, DXR2 and DXR3/Hollywood+!
>
> IMHO mplayer is the best linux media player, and it does not even need a
> GUI :-) (But you can compile one in if you want)
> Of course it has its shortcomings too.

The software itself is good. The problem with it is the license!
I still remember a long thread at mandrake devel mailing list about
mplayer's license. mplayer uses so many libs that have different license.

If you take a search at rpmfind for "mplayer", you may know how.
Home users like me have no troubles with this but distributors/packagers
should stay away from softwares like this or they may be suited ;)

Hung Vu

> --
> Tobias								PGP: 0x9AC7E0BC

|                 Nguyen Hung.Vu                          |
| The University of Electro-Communications, Tokyo, Japan  |
| Takeshi's small space  http://site.techviet.com/vuhung/ |
| Join KDE-i18n-Vi?      http://vi.i18n.kde.org           |
| VYSA:                  http://vysasports.vngate.net/    |
| Vietlug                http://vietlug.sourceforge.net/  |