[tlug] NFS-mounting /home

I am in the midst of a heated discussion with one of the other sysadmins
about our practise of NFS-mounting /home on our Unix boxen. Each user
has a homespace on our A1000 (Sun hardware RAID box). Said homespaces
are exported by NFS on one of the Solaris servers, and then mounted as
/home everywhere else. This allows Joe User to login to any Unix box on
the network and have the same environment.

I think this is A Good Thing (tm). In fact, in my limited experience, it
appears that this is a fairly standard practise in Unix networks. I know
two smart sysadmins that do it that way, and they are both Chris Sekiya
BOFH types who wouldn't do something that sucked just because they read
about it on linux.com.

The other sysadmin disagrees, claiming that /home should be machine
dependent, as opposed to user dependent.

Am I right? (And we are talking about the theory here, so please do not
tell me that I should be using AFS as opposed to NFS--I *know* that!)
Furthermore, does anyone know of a good doc that I could point this guy
at? I seem to not be convincing in my explanation of why I have things
set up this way.

Thanks!
-Josh