Re: [tlug] What is a core dump?

[BOTi (Re: [tlug] What is a core dump?) writes:]
>> Nguyen Hung Takeshi wrote:
>>
>> > What is a core
>> > dump?
>>
>> I mean it dies for some reason usually printing "Segmentation fault" and
>> it's allocated memory is written to a file for debugging purposes. You
>> can then use gdb on this file to see what happened.
>> Core dumps can be disabled (with ulimit) if you don't want them, some
>> are few megs in size.

And the word "core" is a historical hangover from 30+ years ago when
RAM was made by threading wires through a matrix of tiny ferrite cores in
order to set/read the magnetic field. Each core recorded a bit.

There's a picture of some about halfway down the page at
http://dragon.herts.ac.uk/~eleqdml/teaching/general/microdevices/

Jim

--
Jim Breen  [j.breen@example.com  http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/]
Computer Science & Software Engineering,                Tel: +61 3 9905 3298