Re: [tlug] Linux Windows Media Player Protocal not supported?!!!

E. O. Flores (goripi@example.com) wrote:

> In linux which program equals to Windows Medial player?

Windows Media Player uses a proprietary Microsoft format,
which should be neither encouraged nor used.  If there were
a Windows Media Player for Linux, I would refuse to use it
on principle.

> Or will allow a Linux user to hear my broadcast over the internet

You can stream Ogg, you can stream MP3, you can stream Real Audio
over http or get the Real Media server. Icecast.
I'm sure there are several others that don't even cross my mind
at the moment, but AFAIK there is no way to listen to Windows Media
in Linux (and who cares if there is?).  Fortunately, there are a bunch
of superior alternatives (OK, it's arguable whether Real is superior,
b/c they have not proven themselves to be a terribly ethical company
either (spam and spyware), and it's also a proprietary format; the only
good we can say about it is that it's not a format controlled by MS, and
the existence of Windows Media makes Real a marketplace opponent of MS)
from which you can pick.

Jonathan