Re: [tlug] ipchains settings to allow sendmail from localhost

> If you are connecting via an ISP's dial-up, cable, or DSL network,
> I recommend that you use their outgoing SMTP server as a smarthost,
> because a (growing) number of domains have their MXes configured to
> refuse direct mail connections from those sources, because most such
> connections are spam.  To do this, edit /etc/sendmail.cf and find
> these line:
>
> # "Smart" relay host (may be null)
> DS
>
> Immediately after the S (no space) put the name of your ISP's
> outgoing mail server.

I have just tried setting this parameter to the SMTP server on my local network,
only no joy :(.  I set it like you described above with

# "Smart" relay host (may be null)
DS<smtpServersIpAddress>

but after I restart sendmail and sent a test message I got the error

--------------start error message----------------
The original message was received at Tue, 14 May 2002 11:58:22 +1000
from tony@example.com

s4565@example.com
    (reason: 550 Host unknown)

550 5.1.2 s4565@example.com Host unknown (Name server:
<smtpServersIpAddress>: host not found)

Reporting-MTA: dns; localhost.localdomain
Arrival-Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 11:58:22 +1000

Final-Recipient: RFC822; s4565@example.com
Action: failed
Remote-MTA: DNS; 172.29.81.1
Diagnostic-Code: SMTP; 550 Host unknown
Last-Attempt-Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 11:58:22 +1000

Any ideas why I am getting this error?

Cheers

Tony