Re: [tlug] LPI test on Linux World

On Sat, May 11, 2002 at 11:49:59PM +0900, Jonathan Byrne wrote:
> Zuco Pietro (pietro@example.com) wrote:
>
> > Go to http://software.linux.com/projects/isqlviewer/?topic=293,296,323,327
> > I didn't prove it but there in the page says that this program can read
> > excel files and some other M$ stuff.
>
> Lots of things *can* read MS files reasonably well (not always in
> Japanese, though), but that's beside the point.  It's ludicrous
> that you should hve to run a self-extracting .exe to get an
> Excel sheet to register for a Linux exam.  It makes it pretty
> hard to respect LPI exams.
>
> Put another way, "We expect you to be running Windows to be
> able to take our Linux exam."  Right.

If you read the original message closely, it looks like the testing agency
(? I guess that's what VUE is) is at fault, not LPI. He said it was the
registration form. I'm 99.9% sure that in the US you can just go to some-
body's website and register online for the LPI exams (I know you can for
some other certifications that are administered by some of the same
companies).

I would bet that LPI farms out all their Japanese business to some local
middleman and doesn't know about these .EXE files. In which case they should
be scolded for not paying attention, perhaps.

--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, Colorado, USA