Re: [tlug] CrossOver Office

Matt,

--- Matt Gushee <mgushee@example.com> wrote:

> I concluded that it would be easier to write a VB app that converted
> between the Word/PowerPoint/etc. object models and human-readable
> XML than to figure out all the intricacies of the MS-style XML.
>
> Not long after that I was laid off, so I never got around to writing
> the app, but I'd still like to do it at some point. Sort of a way
> to promote interoperability in spite of MS's devious tricks.

I saw a program like this on the MS web site a while ago. But
it would not work on the latest Word files. MS changes their
object model all the time and has different bugs in different
versions.

One of our vendors had a "configuration" program which was a
Word document with embedded VBA. It read information from
tables in the Word doc and spit out XML config files and SQL.
It was pretty nasty code, so I converted the VBA to an
external Python program which accessed the document via Word
object model. 4000 lines of VBA turned into 3000 lines of
Python. I highly recommend Python over VBA, even in VBA's own
back yard :-)

Jake