Re: [tlug] CrossOver Office

On Fri, 19 Apr 2002, Drew Poulin wrote:

> with clients.  As far as I know, there are no Linux office applications that can even
> preserve the formatting of a table created in MS Word, which makes such applications
> useless for people like me.  I've tried StarOffice, AbiWord, and Kword, and none are
> acceptably compatible with MS Word when it comes to graphics and fonts.  And the
> problem is worse if you need Japanese capability.

How are AbiWord and Kword with Japanese? Now using OpenOffice. It can display any
Japanese MSWord and Excel files thrown at it...as of April 20, that is. The doc files
that I have revised and then sent back to Mightnot Work users seem to have received
without problem, as well. I had no problems when I created such a document that had graphics
in it, either[1] - I can't claim to have experimented extensively, however. I can imagine
that there might be some compatibility problems when it comes to fonts, so if Cyberbit
fonts are not acceptable to the other party and seamless is the priority...well, you'll
just have to get them to liberate themselves and make the switch. :)

Tony Laszlo, Tokyo
http://www.issho.org/laszlo.html
See you at the World Cup!
http://www.issho.org/wcup2002.html

1)
The trick in StarOffice and OpenOffice is to save the document in the default
format first, then reopen it and save it in Mightnot Work format. This is
documented in the help files.