[tlug] Re: CrossOver Office

"Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@example.com> writes:

> [J Byrne]
>     >> WRT Abiword at all, while I do not have to deal with highly
>     >> complex MS Office documents [1], and happily rarely have to
>     >> deal with them at all, I have had no problems with correctly
>     >> reading MS Word and Excel documents with Abiword and Gnumeric.
>
> I tried an xls document with Gnumeric last night, and it swallowed it
> but displayed nothing because it couldn't make fontsets.  Yes, I do
> have all the registries it claimed it couldn't find.  I didn't
> investigate further yet, but I'm not impressed.

I tried Gnumeric maybe half a year ago and it didn't work at all back
then. But recent versions seem to work, I could display and even print
Japanese .xls documents with Gnumeric when I tried again a few weeks
ago.

Gnumeric and Abiword seem to be enough to make the contents of .xls
Files readable, although they are usually displayed different
from the originals.

When I looked at a Japanese .doc file recently with Abiword, the text
was readable, but has many line breaks at places where it made no
sense and pictures embedded in the original were not displayed either.

OpenOffice 641c displayed the Japanese .xls and .doc files I tried
perfectly, line breaks correct and pictures visible.

Compared to Gnumeric and Abiword, OpenOffice is a slow monster though.

--
Mike Fabian   <mfabian@example.com>   http://www.suse.de/~mfabian
睡眠不足はいい仕事の敵だ。