[tlug] unidentified subject! -was Simpleton

Hi Jonathon and to TLUG users,

>At least you got it partitioned, that's a step in the
>rightdirection.

Actually, i restored using RESTORRB, but i
repartitioned after your message:
on FIPS before partitonong commmences:

Part|bootable|Head,Cyl,Sec.|sys.|Head.Cyl,Sec|Sec|
 1     yes     1    0   1  |och | 239 2047 63 63
No. of Secs| Mb
39070017    19077

Checking Root sector...

Info:  Partition Table inconsistency

Fips has detected that the 'physical` start or end
sector (head/cylinder/sector) do not match with
the'logical' start/end sector.This is notan error
since the 'physical' values are redundant and not used
anyway.There are many configurations where the values
differ. This message ismeant only only to inform you
that FIPS has adapted the 'physical' values accordomg
to he current drive geometry. so dont be alarmed by an
un-expected cylinder range.

Press any  key

Checking boot sector...OK

Repartitonong complete

With FAT 32 partitons, you should now run Scan disk

BYE!

Memory allocation error

Cannot load COMMAND, System halted

Install CD1 RH 7.2. At FDisk`s command 'p'.

Disk / tmp/hda: 240 heads, 63 sectors, 2584 cylinders

Units = cylinders of 15120 * 512 bytes

Device    Boot Start End     Blocks    Id   System
/tmp/hda1   *    1   019    7703608+    c    Win95
FAT32  (LBA)

/tmp/hda2     1020  2584    11831400    c     Win95
FAT32  (LBA)

>You should see at least two partitions that look
>something like this
>(the example is for a single partition):

>Command (m for help): p

>Disk /dev/sda: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 261 cylinders
>Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes

 >  Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id
>System
>/dev/sda1   *         1       261   2096451   83
>Linux
>

>Email that info to the list so we can see what your
>partition table looks like and give you some advice
on how to proceed.

> An IBM guru offered this, but it could be out of my
cognitive
threshold as RH7.2 manual suggests not ot use it,
unless experienced with this program:

> "I would suggest deleting all partitions using
fdisk, then
running "fdisk \mbr" and then re-trying to use Linux
partitioning tool."

>Yes, that would work, however, did s/he explain also
>thatdeleting yourpartitions means Win 98 and your
>data and everything are gone?

No, just the above comment. I was aware  of the
consequence anyway,  because-  recently i tinkered
with FDisk and somehow wiped  the HD but, alas, i had
done a complete backup.

So, it seems I am to use the expert mode!!

Thankyou for your response,

Shane