Re: [tlug] text based- from the simpleton

shane eastwood (fulingus7@example.com) wrote:

> the error message i receive after i attempt to configure the partitions at the GUi of automatic partitioning is:
> "Could not allocate requested partitions: Partitioning failed:
> Could not allocate partitions as primary partitions."

Yamagata-san said I would tell you not to use automatic partitioning, and
I won't let him down: "Don't use automatic partitioning."

It would be nice if it said why it oculdn't allocate partitions.  Red
Hat must be taking lessons from MS on how to produce totally useless
error messages.

> I have experimented with FIPS which works especially in FIPS -d
> which is debug mode
> however the partition for windows which i allocated to be smaller on the hard drive than the RH to be one'....somehow, mysteri! ously on the RH.7.2 installer appears as a part of the larger of the 2 partitions and the smaller one yet to assigned a OS etc.

At least you got it partitioned, that's a step in the right direction.

What we need to know now are exactly what partitions exist on the disk.
You can get this information from Linux fdisk.  To get it, go through
the install process until you get to the partitioning section, where you
can choose to auto partition, partition manually with Disk Druid, or
partition manually with fdisk.  Choose fdisk and click the button
for /dev/hda.

In fdisk, type p to get a listing of your current partition table.
post this information to the list.

You should see at least two partitions that look something like this
(the example is for a single partition):

Command (m for help): p

Disk /dev/sda: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 261 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1   *         1       261   2096451   83  Linux

Email that info to the list so we can see what your partition table
looks like and give you some advice on how to proceed.

> An IBM guru offered this, but it could be out of my cognitive threshold as RH7.2 manual suggests not ot use it, unless experienced with this program:
>
> "I would suggest deleting all partitions using fdisk, then running "fdisk \mbr" and then re-trying to use Linux partitioning tool."

Yes, that would work, however, did s/he explain also that deleting your
partitions means Win 98 and your data and everything are gone?  You
wouldn't want to overlook that minor detail :-)

Jonathan