Re: [tlug] Honeypots

On Thu, Apr 11, 2002 at 07:05:40PM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>     Matt> If they weren't and people were really clued in then
>     Matt> security would not be the messy problem that it is
>     Matt> today.
>
> Wishful thinking.  Security is just about 100% tradeoff against
> functionality.  People will have functionality at the expense of
> security.  After all, don't 9 out of 10 dentists use Windows?

Yep, that is pretty much the case, but alot of times you don't
have to lose the functionality you want to get considerably better
security.  I think ease is almost more to blame. Its easier to leave
everything turned on in case you need it right? The system works and
reading all those technobabble security alerts make my brain hurt.
right?  If anything can scare people into not being lazy it would be
a good thing(tm) and it would certainly increase security overall.
Still the more I think about the more I'm convinced you are right.
It just continue to cling to my quixotic hope that some people are
lazy because they just don't know any better, and if they were shown
the right way(tm) to do things, having truly understood the dangers,
that they would.

--Matt

ps. for those who care about the foot notes I forgot my original post:

[1]. another term might be idiots or MCSCs but I'm trying to be nice.

[2]. Hopelessly wishful thinking but I need something to keep the hope
     alive.

[3]. you know Mutual of Omaha's wild kingdom or that show with the insane
     austrailian fellow who always pissing off animals just to see what'll
     happen.
--
"Take away them collisions and the common channel and it's like Christianity
 without Christ." -Jim Breen (speaking about "full-duplex" Ethernet)