Re: [tlug] NetBSD dhclient...

>> Somewhere around Thu, 11 Apr 2002 10:25:46 +0900, Matt Doughty wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 11, 2002 at 10:17:28AM +0900, Christopher SEKIYA wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 11, 2002 at 09:41:14AM +0900, Michael Doughty wrote:
> unless it is a caching only nameserver. Unless I missed something?

Which is exactly what this is.  Is that not what most domain-name-server
values served by DHCP servers are?  I mean, dhcp is there to get a
totally clueless machine up on the network.  I think that, while
specifying the domain to search is certainly helpful, it should not be a
prerequisite for accepting the name server entries.  I can see why it
is better to specify a search domain, but I think it logical as well to
declare that static and dynamically set the (possibly) changing
IP addresses of the name servers.  Which is of course where the fact that
this is OS comes in handy, as I can simply modify the script if I don't
like it.  And it made me setup my DHCP server more completely, which is
in no way bad.  I am just challenging the logic of this as default
behaviour.

Michael