Re: [tlug] disk configuration: drive mounting

> Modifying fstab isn't rocket science.  It isn't even hard.  It
> takes less time to figure out how to edit it than it does to
> download a graphical frontend, install it,  and learn to use it.
> Not to mention all the time you spend recovering your system after
> the graphical client breaks fstab :-)

Part of the reason is to assess how one would integrate redhat into a
pre-existing windows enviroment.  The primary rule with windows users is
that you do not want to have them type anything.  Anything that can be typed
can be mis-typed, resulting in an error.  So operating system options
should, whenever possible, work by selecting options determined by the
computer.  It should also make a backup, or have the option of making a
backup, of whatever configuration file being changed in the event the change
creates problems.  So I'm looking to see to what extent Linux is working
towards this end.  Ideally, mounting a network share should be a matter of
selecting from a list of network resources already known by the computer.