Re: [tlug] Re: disk configuration: drive mounting

> mount -t smbfs -o username=foo,password=bar file://host/share /mountpoint

I was contemplating this line.  In Windows networking, whenever you type a
password, it's obscured by asterixes to prevent someone from overlooking
your shoulder to aquire it.  Also, to add this share in such a way that it
becomes permanent, it would have to be written into the linux config file,
which, as I understand it, plain text.

Am I the only one who thinks this could be a security issue?

Aside from that, I had trouble getting it to work, it was not recognizing
the network shared folder on the windows machine.  for troubleshooting
purposes I created a share on my win2k (named slave)  box called "linux".  I
used the smbclient -L file://host (smbclient -L //slave) command to try to
see it.  it returned to following error:

SSL: Error error setting CA cert locationsL error:00000000::lib(0) :func(0)
:reason(0)
trying default lcoations.
added interface ip=192.168.0.18 bcast:192.168.0.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
Get_Hostbyname: Unknown host freak.a

the linux box is named "freak".  the workgroup is "a".

On a hunch, I tried the mount command adding the IP address of slave (ip=)
in the mount command line.
mount -t smbfs -o ip=192.168.0.142,username=xxx,password=*** //SLAVE/linux
/mnt/testnfs

it finally worked.  This means I'm having trouble getting it to see the
share without specifying the computer ip address.  any ideas?