[tlug] libraries

Hello tlug :-)

I have a question.
When I try to install a new package almost always I need some libraries or
some new libraries than I don't have. In that moment I have to looking for
that and some times it takes a lot of time to find all the packages that I
need to install a new one.
For example, I installed debian and I wanted the latest version of XFree86.
So I went to www.xfree86.org and download it. When I tried to install it ,
there was a problem of dependency and I needed to install glib 2.2.5. Ok I
downloaded it. After that there was a message that some modules may have
troubles with the new XFree86 and it's recomended to put it in a directory
appart. Now I need new modules and I don't know exactly what modules I need.
My problem is that I always have troubles with dependencies and sometimes
that troubles grow so much that this make me desist to install some
software.
Can give me some tips to do this job better? I'm sure that I'm doing it bad,
because a lot of people always talk about install and unistall packages
without problems.

Thankyou in advance.
Pietro