Re: [tlug] partiton

On Thu, Apr 04, 2002 at 06:29:42PM +0900, hatsuhiro wrote:

> 1. Do we have to have more than one partition when large (like 512MB)
> capacity of swap space is needed?

It is better to use a separate partition for your swap space.  There are
several reasons, but the simplest is that it just means fewer layers of
processing between memory and the physical swap space, and therefore
higher speed and reliability.  With a swap file that size, whatever the
underlying design limits may be, I would definitely put it on its own
partition or partitions.

> 2. On the way of making partitions by cfdisk, I found an asterisk * on the
> upper right corner of the table (just the right side of small capacity of
> hda1in my case). What does it indicate?

That is the "bootable" flag.  It is, I think, irrelevant to Linux operation if
you have installed LILO (or Grub?) in the disk's overall MBR.  Some other
operating systems (and possibly other LILO boot loader configurations?) use
this to tell them where they should jump after finishing the early work of the
boot process.

> 3. I successfully made many partitions like "hda1 hda2 <hda5 hda6 hda7 hda8
> hda9 hda10 hda11 hda12 hda13 hda14 hda15 hda16 hda17 hda18 hda19 hda20>".
> However, at boot time, filesystem check errors occurred on hda17-20. Can you
> suggest me what's wrong?

I can't help here; I don't know if there is a limit to the population of
an extended partition.  But have a look with fdisk or cfdisk to see if these
partitions have overlapping sectors, or run off the end of your disk.

Frank Bennett