Re: [tlug] configuration

On Tue, 2 Apr 2002 20:59:40 -0700
Matt Gushee <mgushee@example.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 03, 2002 at 12:47:22PM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
>
> >     Marlo> To be honest, I don't have the exact model number, it's
> >     a Marlo> no-name brand I bought at Fry's Electronics (a huge
> >     Marlo> retailer in the states).  It's a Kaiser based on the S3
> >     Marlo> chipset 4 meg.  but I'll have to open the box to get
> >     the
>
> There's no such thing as "the S3 chipset" -- rather, there are a
> number of chipsets made by S3. And which one you have could be
> important. I recently tried to install XFree86 4.1.0 on my aging IBM
> box, and found to my chagrin that my card wasn't supported. I have
> an S3 Trio 64V, which I think was very common a few years ago but is
> probably no longer being made; they were well supported under
> XFree86 3.x, but I could only run at very low resolution under 4.1.
> The good news is version 4.2 has an accelerated driver -- see
>
>   http://www.xfree86.org/4.1.0/Status28.html#28   and
>   http://www.xfree86.org/current/Status28.html#28

Ah, one thing on this that I found out by simply mistyping the card
number one time, and then saying, the heck with it, I'm not having any
luck with the correct one.

With the S3 Trios in XFree 4.x, you can often get it working by
choosing S3 Virge Generic.

On three different Linux and one FreeBSD install, it did the trick,
with both XFree 4.1 and 4.2

I've given that info to a few other people, who also said that it
worked for them (don't remember their specifics however)

Scott Robbins