Re: [tlug] configuration

    >> Most cards are supported by the svga driver, so this is almost
    >> certainly correct (note: when troubleshooting, it is generally
    >> useful to mention exactly what hardware you are having trouble
    >> with; in this case, what graphics card do you have?).

    Marlo> To be honest, I don't have the exact model number, it's a
    Marlo> no-name brand I bought at Fry's Electronics (a huge
    Marlo> retailer in the states).  It's a Kaiser based on the S3
    Marlo> chipset 4 meg.  but I'll have to open the box to get the
    Marlo> exact model number.  I also have a Viper V770 lying around
    Marlo> here somewhere I can use.

You can get a lot of information by looking at the XFree86 logs.
Typically /var/log/XFree86*.  Post the whole thing.

NB.  If you really knew what you were doing already and had a specific
"the doc says this, but the log says that" question, yes, it would be
more polite to edit it.  But when in doubt, post.  You're in doubt, I
can just tell.  ;-)

If it's over 10kB (remember, mail headers alone typically weigh in at
2kB, 10kB is not "big"), consider putting it on your home page and
posting an URL.  But remember that both your inconvenience and the
inconvenience of those trying to help count a lot, and up to about
10kB absolutely outweigh bandwidth considerations.  (Do the math: if
you post "that didn't work" three times, then your headers and those
of replies already add up to 10kB).  First priority: make all
information available.  Second priority: cut bandwidth.

    Marlo> checking now... But I have to admit to being a little
    Marlo> confused by the xf86config file.  I see that it lists all
    Marlo> the possible video modes, but I'm not clear on how it
    Marlo> stores information on which mode to boot to?

Try rebooting to single-user (you need to be in an environment where X
is _not_ running; "telinit s" will probably work), log in as root if
needed, and use XFree86 -configure.  This will write a basic
XF86Config file (but _not_ install it to /etc, you have to do that
yourself) for you based on what XFree86 detects from your hardware and
a few fairly simple (IIRC ;-) questions.

This is the theoretically-correct approach, because XFree86 -configure
uses the same routines that the production server does for autoconfig,
etc, and was mostly written by the people who wrote the routines.
Many are not very well documented (eg, the xkb stuff was horrendously
bad, at least as of XFree86 4.0), so why would you expect xf86config
and other third-party software to get it right?