Re: [tlug] Selective mojibake email

On Thu, Feb 28, 2002 at 02:22:30PM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> The fact is that Microsoft does not properly implement standards that
> it doesn't control, nor even its own.

Steve, that's unfair. If you said something like "usually does not"
or "does not properly implement i18n-related standards," I
wouldn't have a problem with it. But then, of course, it wouldn't
be provocative, and I know how you love a good argument.

But I have had a fair amount of professional contact with Microsoft
products and developers in the XML sphere, and I can say that they
have properly implemented XSLT and are serious about properly
implementing other XML-related specs such as XML Schema -- which
they only partially control. Are their motives pure? I seriously
doubt it. But at least in that field, their management finds it
expedient for the time being to play by the rules; their developers
are sincerely trying to do the right things, and mostly succeeding.

Of course, if you want to talk about deployment and documentation, the
picture isn't quite so pretty.

--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, Colorado, USA