Re: [tlug] Selective mojibake email

"Glenn Evanish" <glenn@example.com> wrote:

> when I connected from a laptop running Japanese Win98SE with IE5.0 and
> sent email with the subject line 日本語 and body text日本語 between test
> accounts, everything displayed perfectly, even the subject line.  The
> encoding was Shift-JIS.
>
> When I go to read the same or similar test email with other OSs and
> browsers, though, I get mojibake.  日本語 becomes “ú{Œê .  I’ve tried
> Win 2K-E, Win2K-J, Mac 9.x, IE 5.5, Netscape 4.7 all with Shift-JIS or
> any other encoding option with similar results, although the encoding
> obviously changes the style of mojibake.

I think the encoding of your e-mail here was utf8, but TLUG said it made
some alterations:

If your test e-mail doesn't exactly say what the encoding is, then maybe
different readers make different guesses.

Even if your e-mail does say what the encoding is, if it's Unicode then
maybe some readers still try to guess some subset of Unicode, maybe they use
a font with Unicode encoding but the font doesn't include all of the
necessary characters.