[tlug] 8.1 update problem

I just loaded Mandrake 8.1 onto an old FM-V Desk Power SE Fujitsu using 48k
ram, so far its up and running (slow but running) its my gateway box. After I
did a cold re-start, all loaded OK until I logged in as normal user, I
received an ERROR message that stated "The Process for the file protocol died
unexpectedly" (this was a recommended install).  After getting on the net to
update packages I got a message "Bad, unreadable or not found packages, all
packages raised Error".  Can someone tell me what's wrong here?

At the moment I gateway looks like swiss cheese!...
help

God Bless
Sincerely,
Gavin (Fukushima City)