Re: [tlug] Flets ISDN with Linux

Hi Adam -

I'm currently using Linux and Flets ISDN - I built a small network using an very old PC as a router, a hub and several servers and workstations.
The router is an old P90, stripped down and running Freesco from a single floppy disk. Setting it up is really easy.

The terminal adapter (TA) that I picked up has a standard serial connection as well as the USB - I use the serial port.
If the terminal adapter can accept "AT" commands, linux will just see it as a regular modem, though you need a funky connect string.

I have the router and TA stuck in a closet with no monitor or keyboard - I never have to think about it.  Using a router means that you can share the internet connection with an unlimited number of machines. Currently, I have serveral Linux machines, an iMac and one Windows laptop. The router provides DHCP, so it's pretty easy to use with my work laptop, too - no configuration.

Also, freesco has a DynDNS client, so it updates the DynDNS service each time it re-connects, so even though my IP address changes several times a day, I can always find my web server:  mmdc.dyndns.org.

I just ordered ADSL, so I will soon be getting rid of the TA, if anyone needs it (Aiwa TM AD1283)

Cheers,
Jim

PS - thanks to everyone for the great nomikai the other night!