Re: [tlug] Using TAR

On Thu, Feb 14, 2002 at 09:50:52PM +0900, Christopher SEKIYA wrote:
> (I'd sent a reply, but Baehr's damned send-two-copies-of-each-response

args, i keep forgetting about that, sorry.
it's very hard to change ones habits, after having done so for years,
especially since i DO want cc's of replies to lists...

> ate it)

hmm, how did that happen?
does your mailprogram behave differently depending on what addresses
are in To: and Cc:
that shouldn't really matter.

> On Thu, Feb 14, 2002 at 01:30:26PM +0100, Martin Baehr wrote:
> > for linux that is 2x memory.
> Depends on vm implementation.  1:1 is all that I will trust, else one will
> have their machine swap itself to death under moderate load.

well, linux vm is implemented in a way that it will keep copies of
active pages in swap. dies does not mean that the machine will swap
itself to death, it just means that it needs more swap space to begin
with. as far as i understand the comments from the kernel list,
having less then swap than 2xRAM will decrease performance, and
in such a case it would be better to have no swap at all.

> > hmm, there is no benefit in seperating /usr and /usr/X11R6
> Wrong.  X is not an integral part of the OS.  X decides to blow chunks over
> its filesystem, it had better be separate from /usr lest you lose the whole
> damned machine.

only if /usr/X11R6 is written to, which should not be the case.
a clean /usr can be mounted readonly. every writeable parts
should be in /var.

greetings, martin.
--
i am looking for a job anywhere in the world, doing pike programming,
caudium/pike/roxen training, roxen/caudium and/or unix system administration.