Re: [tlug] Dont understand???? help please

On Thu, Feb 14, 2002 at 08:57:41PM +0900,
Christopher SEKIYA wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 14, 2002 at 08:51:17PM +0900, Tomita Alberto wrote:
>
> > SMIT? No need. There's linuxconf (RedHat), yast (SuSE) ...
>
> Good point.
>
> Does anyone actually USE that crap, day-to-day?  I've yet to meet a sysadmin
> who uses anything other than vi permutations.  Am I out of touch?

I think they're intended for people who don't need to deal with conf
files day-to-day, not BOFHs like you.  If you're an average home or
business user with relatively static set of applications, you really
shouldn't need to fool around with your setup very often.  (Me, for
example.  If I weren't following Debian unstable and had to fix
fubar'ed stuff every so often, I would not have had any need to become
root in the last three weeks except to shut down.)

If I have to choose between having to use a crap tool twice a year,
and having to dig around man pages and HOWTOs for a couple of hours
trying to remember obscure config options twice a year, I'll take the
crap tool, live with the crappiness and save myself four hours.  If
it's happening every few days, though, I'll learn the magic words
instead and try to optimize my work flow.  It's all about saving time
and effort.

--
Shimpei Yamashita                               http://www.shimpei.org/
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?    -- Steve Wright