Re: TLUG ML prob Q (was Re: [tlug] writing to USB storage device ...)

On Sun, Feb 10, 2002 at 05:00:42AM +0000,
Jean-Christian Imbeault wrote:

> Ok, first shoot me for using hotmail. That in itself might be the root of
> my problem but if not ....
>
> Pasted below is an email from Godwin Stewart to the tlug list. The Reply-to
> (tlug@example.com) seems ok but the To: field (tokyolug@example.com) is
> not what I expect. Can anyone shed light on this? Since the To: field
> address is "wrong" these messages all wind up in my spam mail folder ...
>
> Is this do to a TLUG ML setting, is Godwin's mailer doing this or does the
> tlug have two addresses?

Yeah, that mail fooled my procmail settings too.  It looks like
something on Godwin's end.  Remember, the way SMTP works, the To:
field doesn't really have anything to do with where things are
actually delivered--after all, this mail is going to get delivered to
you in spite of saying "To: tlug@example.com".

Anyway, for more reliable filtering, it looks like you need to filter
on something generated by the list software instead of whatever the
poster fills in. "Resent-From: tlug@example.com" looks like it would
work.  Is hotmail's filter sophisticated enough to work on any part
of the header line?

--
Shimpei Yamashita                               http://www.shimpei.org/
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?    -- Steve Wright