Re: [tlug] Installing and uninstalling Netscape

On Sat, Feb 09, 2002 at 07:57:46PM +0900,
Charles Muller wrote:

> On Sat, 2002-02-09 at 19:38, BOTi wrote:
>
> Thanks for offering help. I am a complete beginner.
>
> > rpm -qf `which netscape`
>
> This is answered by "No such file or directory"

Hmm. That's strange.

> > should show you the package to which the netscape binary belongs.
> > You can delete the package with "rpm --erase packagename".
>
> I tried "rpm --erase netscape" and get
>
> "package netscape is not installed".
>
> I also tried it with "Netscape."

To find the name of the package Netscape belongs to, do
   rpm -qa | grep -i netscape
rpm -qa returns a list of all installed packages.  grep looks for
the specified string, and -i tells grep to ignore case.

> > What do you mean by "netscape recognized"?  By whom, or what application?
>
> For example, if I would like the Netscape icon to be on my program menu,
> and also have it appear as an optional program for opening HTML files
> when I right-click on them. At present Netscape 4.7 is in both of these
> positions.

Removing Netscape 4.x is not going to help you with that; at least it's
not going to put your own copy of netscape 6.x in its place.

You haven't told us what kind of desktop environment you're using--
KDE, Gnome, or something else--so it's hard to prescribe exactly what
to do. In Gnome 1.4, the easiest way to get something that didn't come
with your distribution onto a menu is to run the Menu Editor from the
Settings menu, and add an item pointing to wherever you put your
netscape 6.x executable. There should be a comparable mechanism for KDE,
although I haven't looked at KDE in a while.

However, I also find it strange that Mandrake wouldn't offer netscape
6.x as a part of their distribution. Look in their FTP site; installing
their RPM package, if they have one, is the surest bet.

--
Shimpei Yamashita                               http://www.shimpei.org/
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?    -- Steve Wright