[tlug] Backup CD!

Just in time to help you waste your weekend, I have put up the first
kinda-working release of the RepliCoaster backup CD.  This version writes
itself out onto backup CDs that are also bootable (yes, it really does work).
When booted, they can repeat the cycle.

Other highlights include:

  o The entire OS takes up about 5 megs on disk (most of the filespace is in
    cramfs partitions).

  o The system takes up just 10 megabytes of deadspace in RAM (four
    2.5 meg ramdisks).

  o Multilingual support is integral to the system, with plenty of room for
    expansion inside current storage constraints.

  o Backups can be take on files stored on msdos, vfat or ext2 filesystems.

  o Five combinations of mass storage hardware are detected, automagically.
    (I'm still being VERY cautious about SCSI-based systems, though; the
    system will turn up its nose if it doesn't find a device that it likes
    that is also the only SCSI device on the system -- in other words, if you
    have fixed SCSI disks, this system won't work for you):

      - PCMCIA-SCSI CD-RW
      - PCMCIA-SCSI MO
      - USB CD-RW
      - USB MO
      - ATAPI CD-RW

There is no provision for versioning, encryption, incremental backup or
series-awareness yet, but the scripts __do__ use gettext.  You will find an
item for Japanese in the language selection menu; it yields only English at
the moment, but that's just because the Japanese text has not been entered,
and gettext is defaulting back to English.  I have a little Python script that
extracts the messages to a *.po template, so translations will be
maintainable.  If anyone is inclined to volunteer to translate the interface
into Japanese (or any other language), please write to me privately.

There are a few minor quirks in the user interface, some of which need to be
fixed, some of which don't.  The two main things to note are that the status
message does not update immediately after the "buffer area" is created; escape
to the shell and return with "exit", and the status will show correctly.  The
other glitch is that the "Restore files" button is non-functional or broken (I
forget which at the moment).  The tools for restoring files ARE all in there,
though.  I know because last night my machine suffered a catastrophic hard
disk failure, and I used an early-draft set of backup CDs made during testing
to restore my system this morning.  So it __does__ work.  :-)

You should not, however, take my word for it.  This stuff is hugely untested,
and for the present it should be used only on unwanted hardware that houses
useless information and the precious data of your mortal enemies.

Enjoy!
Frank