Re: [tlug] Athlon hardware bug hangs Linux

On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 08:38:43PM +0900, Christopher SEKIYA wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 07:08:01PM +0900, Jonathan Byrne wrote:
>
> > There is a workaround (can't get to the details)
>
> The workaround is to use 4Kb pages.  Pass mem=nopentium (memory=nopentium?)
> as a stopgap.

More information for those who care. Intel introduced extentions that allow
for page sizes greater than traditional 4K with the pentium processor (4Mb).
Unfortunately, while the athlon supports these extentions there are issues
with memory corruption when used in conjuntion with AGP. This ammounts to
a nasty harware bug that only exibits itself I think in one circustance
of table flushing but this may be incorrect. Anyway, the stopgap is
as chris mentioned mem=nopentium or turning off AGP.

--Matt