From: Jonathan Q [mailto:jq@example.com]
Sent: Monday, January 21, 2002 10:52 AM
To: tlug@example.com
Subject: Re: [tlug] Newly compiled Kernel woes

Mancy, Raymond (mancy.raymond@example.com) wrote:

> I recently upgraded my kernel to 2.4.17 from the original setup I had wih
> RH7.1 (2.4.2?). Since then, I have not been able to get my 3com PCMCIA

<snip>

I ran into very similar behavior on very different hardware when upgrading
to 2.4.17 from 2.4.9-13 on Red Hat 7.2.  Sajjad's tip worked really
well, so you might want to try this one.  Take one of Red Hat's
canned configs from /usr/src/linux-2.4/configs (grab the appropriate one
for the kind of kernel you want to build; the file names are obvious)
and copy it to your 2.4.17 tree, dropping it into arch/i386 and naming
it defconfig.

There is an existing defconfig there from teh 2.4.17 sources, so you
can back it up if you want.

Then run whichever flavor of make config you prefer, and try that.

I haven't gone back yet to research why this made the difference,
but that was the only thing I did differently between my last
unsuccessful 2.4.17 and the one that worked.

HTH,

Jonathan