Re: How to use samba mangled japanese filenames as CLI args?

Jean-Christian Imbeault wrote:

> I have samba running on a RH7.1 machine. The clients are all japanese
> windows machines. The clients have no problem creating files/dir with
> japanese names.

You should have these options set in your smb.conf (section global):

   client code page = 932
   coding system = euc

Samba will then translate the Filenames from SHIFT_JIS charset to the
EUC charset used in *nix systems.

> However, *I* have problems trying to access those same files/dir's using a
> console terminal or when telneting in. When I do an ls all I see are garbled
>
> entries. There is no way for me to cd to a directory or even do an rm on a
> file as I can't input those mangled characters.
>
> Does anyone know how I can use those entries as args to simple command like
> ls, cd, rm?

I once did ls to a file, removed all but the directory name I wanted to
change into and then did cd "`cat file`"
But maybe theres an easier way to do that...

--
Tobias								PGP: 0x9AC7E0BC