Re: kinput and kterm SOLVED!!!!!

Martin Baehr wrote:

> well, yes, but in my situation i never want to change the locale, just
> the input method. i would also like to input german without using a
> german locale. why? because i prefer original text over translations.
> therefore in general i see a need to seperate input from output as far
> as the locale goes.

Isn't that what LC_MESSAGES is there for ?
AFAIK the C locale supports only 7bit ascii.
en_US supports iso-8859-1, so you can input german.
LANG=ja_JP gives me japanese error messages an the like, which I usually
don't want, so I just set LC_MESSAGES=en_US too.
However, as utf-8 encoding is not really support sufficiently, you can't
input german when using the japanese locale, or rather the japanese
character encoding...
(I know it is theoretically possible with iso-2022, but I have never
seen that actually working...)

--
Tobias								PGP: 0x9AC7E0BC