Connection woes...

Hi,

I was looking at my ever troublesome samba server last night. All of a
sudden I couldnt conenct between my samba server and NT client.

If I pinged the server from NT, I would get timed out.
Same If I pinged the client from the server.
I turned on tcpdump on my server and tried updating my arp cache (?) from my
client by using
arp -s (?cant remember exactly) <server IP>.

tcpdump was seeing request from my client, but not giving anything back.
the client just came up with a connection error.

Would I be looking at ipchains or iptables problem here?
They both SEEM ok....

sorry about all the Q's, by now you guys must dread the day I decided to
start to play with Linux:-(

Thanks
Ray