Re: mysql and auto_incrememt

On Wed, Oct 10, 2001 at 03:24:53PM +0000, Jean-Christian Imbeault wrote:
> >From: "BABA Yoshihiko" <baba_yoshihiko@example.com>
> >
> >Strict auto-numbering is better as some people posted here.
>
> True. But it's really annoying ^_^ Guess I will have to stop relying on
> auto-incrementation to generate numbers and do it myself by adding 1 to
> MAX().

I don't know much about mysql, or databases for that matter, but if you have a
lot of elements (like, say, on order of hundreds of thousands), wouldn't doing
a SELECT MAX() on the entire table every time you do an insert be inefficient?

--
Shimpei Yamashita                               http://www.shimpei.org/