Re: Way OT: Sending Japanese email to keitai denwa

> My wife has been trying to send Japanese email to her neice's keitai, but it
> doesn't get rendered as Japanese characters, but just as `$' and other ascii
> characters.

It looks like your wife's system is sending JIS, with escape sequences,
rather than SJIS or EUC.  I think it is "correct" to do so (even though it
means Microsoft accidentally did something right).  I don't know what keitai
accept in e-mail though.  In my experience, keitai can view web pages
encoded in SJIS but not in EUC or plain JIS.

> However, when I send her neice email using Sylpheed, she can read it fine.
> From the headers, it looks like there is no difference. Here are part of the
> headers from my message in Sylpheed:

I'll take your word for it, but meanwhile, notice what the headers said in
your message to TLUG:

> Here is the section from the headers from Outlook on Win2k:
> Are these equivalent, or what?

I think they are equivalent.  Again in my experience with web pages, in some
places it didn't matter if quotation marks were used where they weren't
necessary in some places.  I don't know about e-mail headers though.

What about the contents of the message?  Were both encoded in JIS with
escape sequences?

> Stuart Luppescu         -=-=-  University of Chicago
> $(B:MJ8$HCRF`H~$NIc        -=-=-  s-luppescu@example.com

That looks like some raw JIS with escape sequences, garbled due to your
header saying ASCII.

Yours sincerely,
Norman Diamond