PHP and MySQL

I've installed PHP and MySQL on my RH7.1 box to play around with. However I
can:t seem to get PHP to recognize any mysql function calls.

I get error messages of the sort:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: mysql_connect() in
/var/www/html/php/listdb.php on line 4

I do a phpinfo() and see that one .configure option was '--without-mysql'

Unfortunately I installed from rpms.

Can anyone tell me how to install php from rpm and get it to install with
mysql support?

Then again I might be wrong in thinking that this is the source of my
problem as I don:t know much about PHP.

Jc