Re: tar limitations?

Tobias Diedrich wrote:

> I'm quite sure that there is no 2GB limit on ext2 anymore. Kernels
> before 2.3 do not support large files IIRC, but 2.4 does. Of course you
> need a new enough libc too and the program you are using has to be
> compiled with large file support enabled...

And to back that:

|ranma@example.com:/shared/htdocs/private$ dd if=/dev/zero of=testfile
|count=1 bs=1M seek=8192
|1+0 records in
|1+0 records out
|ranma@example.com:/shared/htdocs/private$ ls -l testfile
|-rw-r--r--    1 ranma    users    8590983168 Sep 18 09:41 testfile
|ranma@example.com:/shared/htdocs/private$ mount
|/dev/hda1 on / type ext3 (rw)
|proc on /proc type proc (rw)
|devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
|/dev/hdb1 on /shared type ext3 (rw)
|tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw,size=256M)
|/devfs on /devfs type devfs (rw)
|/dev/cdrom on /cdrom type iso9660
|(ro,noexec,nosuid,nodev,iocharset=euc-jp,user=ranma)

(Well, ok I cheated a bit by not actually using that much disk space,
but it should work in a 'real' case too.)

--
Tobias								PGP: 0x9AC7E0BC
Hannover Fantreffen ML: mailto:fantreffen-request@example.comsubject=subscribe