Re: tar limitations?

From: Hector Akamine <akamine@example.com>
Subject: tar limitations?
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 18:56:32 +0900

akamine> Hi all,
akamine>
akamine> Are there any limits in the size of files tar can handle? Does it depend
akamine> on the amount of memory or any other parameter? I'm trying to do
akamine>
akamine> tar -zcvf tarfile.tgz . > tarlog.txt
akamine>
akamine> but when the size of the file becomes about 2GB, tar exits with an error
akamine> message ("file too large" or something similar, the message was in
akamine> japanese) (I have enough disk space for the file). It is strange since I
akamine> am almost sure I have been able to create files larger than 2GB before.

It's  upper limit of kernel 2.[02].*  file size.
If you use kernel version 2.4.* ,you can easily byond such limitation.

--
ken