Re: [despammed] Re: can't input Japanese in kinput2 (And what I've learned)

On 07:48 2001/09/17 +0900, Jonathan Q wrote
>Scott (scottro@example.com) wrote:
>
> > various things--as mentioned, some of them were samba and openssh.  Next
> > time, after each program is installed, I will test the things I need (such
> > as kinput2) to ensure that they're working properly.
>
>Neither Samba nor OpenSSH did that to you.  Only packages that
>directly affect your ability to use an input method are
>going to be at fault here.  It could even be kinput2 itself,
>if the package is bad. Scott S. mentioned the usual environment
>suspects to look at, too.

Hrrm---other things installed---Grub, Blackbox----ptys perhaps?
Y'know, I'm really beginning to think, however, that it might have been,
since the HD was bad, that something simply got corrupted--for example, I
suddenly lost ping and had to reinstall iputil or whatever it's called.
(Was that Scott S. or Mike F. who mentioned the environment suspects.)

At any rate, tomorrow, hopefully, I'll pick up a new HD, slap it in, and
start from square one. If nothing goes wrong, I'm going to put it down to
the hard drive messing up the data, in some weird way.

Thanks again.

>Wow, I wasn't aware that you were even in NYC.  Very glad to hear
>you're safe and all right.

Thank you--we really were among the fortunate--even among our friends,
though some have had to evacuate their apartments, we are the lucky. Thank you
Scott Robbins