a friend's install problems..

ok, so I have a friend who has a P5-100 with an itty bitty 250mb disk.
he has a minimum install of RH5.0 on it.  He wants to put 7.1 on it.  So
he got a copy of the CD from a friend.  If he makes the boot disk, he gets
a CRC error during the "uncompressing kernel" phase - tried 3 different
disks, 2 different computers to write the disks with.

If he uses autoboot.bat, the installer loads, but says that it can't find
any hard drives.

Yet, the 2.0.37 kernel in RH5.0 seems to work.

Stranger still, booting a Win98 boot disk and running 'fdisk' also returns
'error reading hard disk'.

strange, huh?  any ideas?  He lives way the heck up in Seattle so I can't
just go over there and fix it in person..

Scott M. Stone <sstone@example.com>
Director of Information Technology, Director of Research and Development
ITIsOpen, Inc. - http://www.itisopen.com
Cisco Certified Network Associate, Sun Solaris Certified Systems Administrator