Re: fresh install on crashed disk

Tim Hurman wrote:

> > broken partition table, zero the MBR, and start over.
>
> easier, boot a set of dos disks and type

As was already pointed out, this couldn't be accomplished.  I pointed out
one possible reason why, and someone else has pointed out other possible
reasons why.  Anyway, next:

> fdisk /mbr
> which will overwrite any and all mbr information.

Wrong.  fdisk /mbr will overwrite the boot code in the MBR (for example
removing lilo) but it will not overwrite other information in the MBR.  For
example if a valid partition table is in place then it remains in place, not
zeroed.  For example if a broken partition table is in place then it remains
in place, not zeroed and not repaired.

-- Norman Diamond