Re: fresh install on crashed disk

legend wrote:

> I get following messages after putting Kondara CD and booting
> the computer:
> Kernel command line: initrd=initrd.img text devfs=nomount BOOT_IMAGE=vmlinuz
> Initializing CPU #0
> [...]

As the kernel decompresses without problems it's unlikely to be a
cd/disk or transfer error.
As Shimpei Yamashita pointed out it's most likely RAM, processor or the
mainboard. If you have another machine you could get memtest86, compile
and make a boot disk with this and run it for a few hours. If there are
no problems for at least 13 hours your ram is probably ok.
To rule out as much as possible strip down the system to just mainboard,
gfx card, cdrom and floppy. Does it still oops on boot ?

Hmm, you said Debian would boot without problems ?
What kernel versions do Debian and Kondara use ?

I think Debian stable should use a 2.2 kernel, 2.4 is more likely to
oops on faulty hardware than 2.2 as far as I know.

--
Tobias								PGP: 0x9AC7E0BC