Re: fresh install on crashed disk

On Sat, Sep 08, 2001 at 03:01:55AM -0400, legend wrote:
> Yep, I've tried booting with floppy disks as well.
> Kondara bootnet.img and Win2k boot disk gave exact
> the same results respectively..
>
> I had never had this problem before, and I'm really
> confused. If it's not drive error nor IDE error, what
> does cause this problem?

0) Badly seated boards and cables
1) Bad memory
2) Bad motherboard
3) Bad CPU

To make sure that it's not just a case of cables or board sockets
coming loose (it can happen--believe me, I learned this the hard way),
open your computer, pull out all the boards and cables and firmly put
them back into place again. If available, use compressed air or
something to blow all the dust away while you're at it.

If the problem recurs, given that you've tried booting from both the
floppy and the CD-ROM and failed, I'd suspect the memory first,
followed by the rest of the motherboard. If you have two or more
memory modules on your computer, try swapping their positions. If you
get any farther than you did before, then it's very likely at least
one of the modules is dead. If you have only one module, try borrowing
one from a friend's computer.

If even that fails, it's probably the motherboard. Try hooking up the
hard disk and CD-ROM drives to a friend's machine to see if they work.
If they do, it's definitely the motherboard. If it comes to that, you
have little recourse other than getting a new one.

--
Shimpei Yamashita                               http://www.shimpei.org/